Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Next on Deck

So I couldn't sleep last night, and as my mind wandered about what gadgets to get next, or what new brews to do. I thought about the size of the All Grain sculpture I'd like to have, and perhaps I could contract Leah's bro Nate out to build it for us! Nate is a savant when it comes to working with his hands. The work he did with our wedding arbor was amazing.


Nate, You Rock!

Amidst my futile dreams of awesome brew equipment, I thought of a new brew to do! I would like to do a Organic Brown Earth Day Ale for April 22, 2009. The recipe hasn't been started yet, but I'm working on it. Ideally I would have started this brew last month so it would be ready for Earth Day, however I didn't think of it until now! So instead we will brew the batch on Earth Day instead. Next year, we'll tweak the recipe to our liking and brew it for Earth Day! When we start coming up with labels, I would like to include some form of helpful tip that the drinker could use to help save the environment on each bottle. This is similar to the bottoms of Mickeys caps. I think this is a good idea, but obviously time will tell. However this definitely reminded me of a quote from Tim.... Peace and Beer Brewing- "Brewing Good Vibes since 2008". (I love this name for a brewery) (Right now it's Tim and my hypothetical business brainchild) :-)




I think I tend to think of names before actually coming up with a recipe to go with them.... I compare this to Duder sometimes coming up with the music before the lyrics. I'm definitely not comparing my feeble attempt at brewing to the amazing skills Duder has, just comparing similar styles. I've thought of a brew name I like. Gunnel Jumper Ale. Gunnel Jumping is the process by which someone who is stranded in a canoe without any paddles can get to shore. He/She stands on the sides of the canoe (gunnels) and jumps up and down without going airborne. This pushes the canoe forward. I've done this before in Boy Scouts, and it's actually quite fun to try! Just make sure you're in deep enough water... This brew name reminds me of the time I spent growing up in the Northwoods in WI.


I've also thought a great name for a brew would be Nuanaarpuq. It's an ancient Inuit word which roughly translates to "Taking Extravagant Pleasure in Being Alive." It's a word that could describe how everyone would like live. When I think of beer, I think of good taste, good friends, and good fun. It combines the grains that Earth gave us with the friends that God gave us with the social interactions we give each other. I definitely would like approval from the Inuit community before using this as a commercial brew name, but if I did, I would want to donate a portion of its profits to environmental protection efforts in Northern Canada.



Prost!


Jeremy

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely love it! Amazing ideas... I've always liked the idea of naming a beer Nuannaarpoq and agree with your previous thoughts of having it be a beer that the ultimate brew, a real special occasion. The organic brown ale for earth day is genius and can't wait to hear more about it. Great name on the gunnel jumper too. I can just picture your lanky body trying to balance in a wobbly canoe with arms flailing everywhere. Awesome. Keep up the good work... I'll give you a call soon.

    Peace and beer

    ReplyDelete